Creamy Broccoli Apple Salad
SURVIVOR/DURING TREATMENT, APPETIZER
140 calories per serving | 15 minute recipe
This recipe is a delicious blend of fruits, veggies and protein meant to help someone living with cancer meet their basic nutritional needs. Greek yogurt is also high in probiotics and whey protein, which may play a role in immune system support. Due to the nutrient density of this snack, it is perfect for those with reduced appetite.
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 2 apples, diced
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Makes 8 servings (1 cup). Per serving: 140 calories, 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 20 g carbohydrates, 5 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 25 mg sodium, 15 g sugar, 2 g added sugar.
- In large bowl, combine broccoli, carrots, onion, apples, pecans and cranberries.
- In separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, lemon juice and honey.
- Combine yogurt mixture with vegetable mixture and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Full fat Greek yogurt can be used to promote additional caloric intake for weight gain. Adding more lemon juice may also improve the taste profile for someone with mild dysgeusia.