Vegetable Mac & Cheese
30 min prep
- Cook pasta until barely al-dente (so it still has a bite).
- While the pasta cooks, make the bechamel sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour then cook for 1-2 minutes until the mixture (known as a roux) turns a very light golden brown. Whisk in the milk, a little at a time, until the sauce is smooth and the milk has been incorporated. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer gently, stirring regularly, until the sauce is smooth and thick. Add the nutmeg and cheese. Season to taste. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil In a sauté pan over medium high flame. Add the chopped cauliflower and sauté until the cauliflower is soft, about 10 minutes. Add the spinach to the cauliflower and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl mix together béchamel sauce, cooked pasta, cauliflower, spinach, and mozzarella cheese. Place in a greased casserole dish and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- ½ pound whole wheat pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups warm milk
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ small cauliflower, chopped
- 1 ½ cups spinach
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste